[IPk] Combined Glucose Monitor and Insulin Pump

Thanks for that, Melissa. This is the first I'd heard of an automated pump
arriving on the market. When the MiniMed 508 first came out with its remote
control, my first thoughts were, ah, they will use that soon so a BG meter
can remotely "control" the pump. In fact, they've built the link into the
next pump, the Paradigm. I found a news release about this on the MiniMed
site at

- "New 'Intelligent' Insulin Pump and Glucose Monitor System Automatically
Calculates Complex Diabetes Math - Recommends Insulin Dosage to Help
Improve Patients' Health"

Pat - I've worked in computer systems for a lot of my life. I assure you
that the programmers at MiniMed will have thought carefully about the valid
issues you raise.

Gail - I appreciate your anxiety about having your diabetes "computer
controlled". But don't forget the brakes in your car are probably computer
controlled. The car reserves the right to ignore or modify your braking if
it is inappropriate for the speed and road conditions. Scarey really. And
of course the Docklands Light Railway has no driver on the train! It's all
computer controlled. Not to mention flying on a plane, where the whole
thing is computer controlled these days.

Anyone know anything about the plans for this pump to be launched in the UK?

mailto:email @ redacted