Re: [IPk] Re: flying, and cholesterol

Hi Nannette,

I wonder if there is a pattern developing here .... I too have low
('bottom end of bottom quartile') 'bad' cholesterol, and 'good'
cholesterol which hovers around the 5 mark.  I think it was 4.9 last
time, which is probably why it wasn't suggested that I change my diet or
use drugs to reduce it.

I am wondering if the low 'bad' cholesterol tells doctors that our diets
don't need changing?  Cholesterol, as I understand it, only partly
arises from what we ingest.

Good luck with the result!

(dm 30+, 508 2+, packing)

In message <email @ redacted>, Nanette
Chana Freedman <email @ redacted> writes
>As for cholesterol. I was also told about 3 months ago about the new
>guidelines for diabetics - also a problem for me despite low values for
>the 'bad' cholesterol and for triglycerides, and high values for the
>'good' cholesterol. The endocrinologist wanted to prescribe medication
>immediately, but not wanting to start taking tablets, I begged for a
>reprieve to try out diet very low in cholesterol and saturated fats (as
>well as lowish in carbs in an attempt to improve HbA1c, and both low
>fat and carb hoping to help me lose some weight). The moment of truth
>is now approaching - I did repeat blood tests on Thursday, and am now
>waiting for the results.

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)