Re: [IPk] BGs and HbA1c

Yes, of course, I'd already writen too much, and the difference between
the hba1c and meter average (even if the meter is used every hour, and
at no other time) is something which has a far bigger impact, of course
(and one can set one's meter average on the computer to whatever one
likes, at least with my meter: on meter it's 2 weeks, though.  It would
be nice to have a 'mimic the hba1c and predict it' function, too ...

 onIn message <email @ redacted>, Diana Maynard
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi Pat
>I believe there's some evidence that thre HbA1C is skewed in several
>ways. First, it takes more account of more recent readings (last 2-3
>weeks) than preceding ones. Also, remember that meter readings are on
>the spot readings and don't give you an accurate picture of things. For
>example, if you always test 2 hours after a meal and get e.g. a reading
>of 8 mmol/l on average, and you test pre-meals and get an average of 5
>mmol/l, that would suggest your average overall is somewhere between the
>two. But in fact, your true average is probably nearer 5 than 8, because
>you're at the post-meal BG for only a very short period of time every
>day, whereas you're at the pre-meal one for a lot longer. Of course,
>that's a simplistic example, but you get the point.
>I certainly can never deduce anything from BG averages, curves, etc from
>my meter, because I test more when I'm high or low than when I'm normal,
>and I test more when I'm high than when I'm low. If I know I'm low, I
>don't need to test. If I know I'm high, I still need to test. And I test
>a lot to see how my BG's coming down, whereas I don't need to test to
>see if my BG's coming up.
>> You mention 'up to 15 after meals'.  Someone said here recently that
>> metres can give false highs up to 2 hours after a meal.  I too find that
>> my hba1c comes out lower than my meter average says it should (by the
>> way, just in case you think that a hba1c of, say, 6.8 equates to a meter
>> average of 6.8 - it doesn't, the meter average would be 8.0.  A hba1c of
>> 12 would have a meter average of 16.7.
>> Best wishes,
>> Pat
>> (dm 30+, 508 2+)

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)