[IPk] BGs and HbA1c

Hi Pat
I believe there's some evidence that thre HbA1C is skewed in several
ways. First, it takes more account of more recent readings (last 2-3
weeks) than preceding ones. Also, remember that meter readings are on
the spot readings and don't give you an accurate picture of things. For
example, if you always test 2 hours after a meal and get e.g. a reading
of 8 mmol/l on average, and you test pre-meals and get an average of 5
mmol/l, that would suggest your average overall is somewhere between the
two. But in fact, your true average is probably nearer 5 than 8, because
you're at the post-meal BG for only a very short period of time every
day, whereas you're at the pre-meal one for a lot longer. Of course,
that's a simplistic example, but you get the point.
I certainly can never deduce anything from BG averages, curves, etc from
my meter, because I test more when I'm high or low than when I'm normal,
and I test more when I'm high than when I'm low. If I know I'm low, I
don't need to test. If I know I'm high, I still need to test. And I test
a lot to see how my BG's coming down, whereas I don't need to test to
see if my BG's coming up.