From: email @ redacted
Date: 19 July 2003 17:35:42
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Cholesterol levels

Just one more query before I go away...
Had a phone call yesterday from the practice nurse at my GP's surgery. In
past I have only ever had cholesterol tests at my GP's, despite having type
for 28yrs. The hospital clinic said that as I am under 40, with low BP, not
overweight, there is little need. My last cholesterol was something like 5.1
August last year. I asked in the GP's when it was due again and they said
it's done yearly. I was told by both the GP, the DSN and the consultant,
this last result was really good as it the good cholsterol was very high and
'bad' extremely low. In fact, the consultant said he would kill for a result

like that! It's always been that way.
Now, the practice nurse gave me a right ear-bashing yesterday! She said I
supposed to have it done six monthly and it had to be under 5. I have to
it done again asap. And it has to be lower than 5 (a good bit lower,
preferably 4.5 or less) or I will have to start taking cholesterol reducing
drugs. I
already take goodness knows how many pills a day. I can do without more. But

she says it's 'new guidelines' for type 1's and they have been told that
have to 'meet these targets'.
I already eat a low fat diet and as I say am not overweight by any stretch
the imagination!
Does anyone know anything about this? Or where I can find these 'new
guidelines'? It seems silly as, 'if it aint broke then don't fix it'! I'm
drugs must have side effects. Any info appreciated. Thanks.