Re: [IPk] URGENT help with weird airline request!

>Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
>I am flying to the USA on Tuesday with my family, with US Airways, for a 3
>week holiday. (Not flown with them before but flown with other airlines).
>Hubbie phoned them today as had to confirm flights. Mentioned, as per their
 >policy, that I was type 1 and that I would have the doctors letter (they still
 >ask for this), everything pharmacy labelled, etc., and was there anything else
>I needed to do. Response? Lets just say the most ludicrous request I have
>ever heard! This was...

I second the advice: just turn up, say 'no, nothing sharp' (if ASKED,
specifically) otherwise, keep quiet.  The question about sharps, IF they
ask it means 'do you have anything sharp which we will be really nice
and allow you to put into the hold luggage now, if you have been an
imbecile* and forgotten to put it there before'.  It does not mean 'do
you have anything sharp which you need for medical reasons, and is going
to be a real hassle if you mention it?'.

I am not sure why your hubby mentioned it - you say 'as per their
policy' - you mean they sent you their policy, and it said 'if you are
going to bring on medical sharps, please tell us' ????  I'd be very
surprised if they did.  The last thing the airline wants is for your
fellow passengers to know that you are bringing sharps onto the plane.
Please do tell us what prompted him to mention your use of sharps,
because, for the air safety of us all, this problem needs to be brought
to the attention of the airline (not to mention the hassle-free travel
of diabetics).

My experience of airlines suggests that even if your husband
specifically requested a diabetic meal for you, your record has not been
marked at all as 'bringing sharps' (and have probably lost that special
meal request ...).

If you get any hassle, remember how much it is going to cost the airline
if they have to pull your baggage from the hold, and they miss their
slot!  They are going to want you to get on that plane!

(dm 30+, 508 2+, and *before discovering Safeway's own-brand micropore
tape which comes on a tear-off roll rather than needing scissors like
real micropore (tm), I was an imbecile and left my scissors in my
diabetes kit - not that was a problem, staff at Jersey airport were very
sympathetic about the diabetes.  Another time I foolishly answered the
sharps question 'yes' .... one lives, learns, and vows never to go back
to Guernsey (or fly on any flight originating in Guernsey, because I've
discovered how easily distracted from their real job the security staff

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)