[IPk] URGENT help with weird airline request!

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
I am flying to the USA on Tuesday with my family, with US Airways, for a 3
week holiday. (Not flown with them before but flown with other airlines).
Hubbie phoned them today as had to confirm flights. Mentioned, as per their
policy, that I was type 1 and that I would have the doctors letter (they still
ask for this), everything pharmacy labelled, etc., and was there anything else
I needed to do. Response? Lets just say the most ludicrous request I have
ever heard! This was...
Have to tell staff at check-in desk and show letters, labels, etc. (Fair
 enough). Then, when boarding (and this is where it gets ridiculous)!, tell
at gate and hand all my insulin, needles, blood testing equipment over to the
 flight attendants who will 'take care of it and bring it to me so I can use it,
supervised, when I eat, etc'!!!!!!!!!! ARGH!
I told hubbie (he had phoned from his work) that this was totally
 unnaceptable to me. He argued with me and said they had stated this was their
policy and
there was not a lot we can do about it, as they are only playing safe! I argue
that with not having my long acting insulin the night before (to cope with
 time difference) I need to test every half hour (this is what I have done in
past) or when i feel 'ill' which I do when flying(!) and inject short acting
a fair bit to keep me level. There is no way I will wait around for the
 over-stretched attendants to bring me my equipment and let them stand and watch
 whilst I do this, either! I am a very private person and have never liked
looking on while I inject, test, etc. That's the way I am. It unnerves me!
 Plus, 3 weeks supply of needles, pens, prefilled pens, lancets, etc., is a fair
Anyhow, wondered if anyone has ever had this before. I've certainly never
 heard of it! Hubbie is getting mad with me saying I would ruin the holiday if I
complained! But I do see it as an infringement of my basic rights! Any advice
greatfully received, asap!.
helen...already stressed to death with this holiday, and worse now!