[IPk] Questions

Pat hi,

Thanks for your e-mail.

Just to confirm:

-The currently available pumps, are NOT capable of monitoring blood sugar
levels and displaying the reading to the user? [yes/ no]

-The currently available pumps, are NOT "automatic". Ie they do not monitor
blood sugar levels, display the sugar level reading, and automatically
administer the correct level of insulin to bring sugar into line? [yes/ no]

-The only benefit of the pump is that it's constantly connected to the user,
therefore you can manually administer insulin without the need for an
injection. [yes/ no]

-If i wanted to pay cash myself, today, for an insulin pump, it is impossible
to buy one over the counter in the UK? [yes/ no]

Thanks fot your help

Best regards

Pat Reynolds <email @ redacted> wrote:

Hi Richard,

Bad news: what you ask for doesn't yet exist: the human brain and human
fingers have to come between the monitor and the pump.  And the constant
monitor, as far as I know, doesn't give you an 'instant' read, but you
have to download it afterwards.

Getting the pump itself is hard work: it helps to have experience in
charity fund-raising / agitprop.

Good news: there is a widely used, injected method which most doctors
acknowledge is far superior to mixtard!  This is called 'multiple daily
injections' (mdi), and is best when supplemented with an education
programme such as DAFNE which includes carbohydrate assessment.

With mdi and carbohydrate what you do is: you have one or two injections
a day of a long acting insulin which covers your 'basal' profile.
Then, every time you want to eat something, you calculate ('guestimate'
is probably closer to what the experienced diabetic does than 'measure')
how much carbohydrate is in the food - and inject a short acting insulin
to cover it.  If you ever get high (e.g. because you have a virus, or
miscalculated how much carbohydrate was in food, or have rebounded high
from a hypo) you can also inject short-acting insulin.  For many people,
this gives total freedom as to what to eat, and when.  No need for
snacks, either (unless you would like one).  One day you can have beans
on toast for breakfast (50g CHO), the next day grapefruit (5g).  One day
you can have beans on toast for lunch (50g CHO), the next day you can
skip lunch entirely (0g CHO).

The guidelines from NICE say: until you have tried mdi using a couple of
different basal insulins, without success, you can't have a pump.  So
get your doctor to try out mdi asap!  The worst that will happen is that
when you get your pump, you will have a good idea of what basals and
boluses you need, and how to do the carbohydrate assessment, and the
best that will happen is that you will find that you don't need a pump
at all.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 pump user 2+, actually, the worst that will happen is that
your doctor will refuse to let you try mdi, and can give no reasonable
explanation as to why ... this means that you need to find a new doctor)
In message <email @ redacted>, Richard Davies
<email @ redacted> writes
>Richard Davies <email @ redacted>
>Hi, my name is Richard. I'm 32 been diabetic for around 10 years. 2x
>Mixtard daily. Control is good - OK ish. I'm keen on the pump idea. I'd
>like to buy one, but have searched the net for hours, lots of dead ends.
>Seems they are only readily available in the USA.
>Would like some advice on how much they cost and supplier contact details.
>Also would like to know if there are automatic pumps? Ie pumps that
>constantly monitor your sugar levels and automatically administer insulin
>or glucose in the correct quantity to maintain a healty "normal" sugar
>Look forward to hearing from you.
>Best regards

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)