RE: [IPk] Late blood sugar rises and now, What to pumpers do?

Hi Di

> Hi Jackie
> Could you try for a few days not using any of the GF products with wheat
> starch but no gluten and see if that makes a difference?

 I will do this, but I was actually going to wait, if I could, until the twins
have a blood test called TT
 Glutaminase (I think that's how its spelled. They are due to have this done in
about 5 weeks time. From
 this test you can tell if someone is being compliant with the diet. I know that
the twins probably are,
 as they often bring me sweets home that have been given to them and then they
check with me to see if
 they are GF.They get taken and collected from school. There's not much chance
in the house of taking non
 GF stuff because if they want something there are plenty of GF equivalent
products about, plus there are
 people in and out of the kitchen all the time. The TT Glutaminase test is shown
as range of figures
 and I believe if it's below a certain range its classed as negative. You don't
normal get a score of
 Nil. I would be interested to see if there is any difference between the twins
on this very sensitive
 test. Beckie now has no products with wheat in and no products with malt in.
But they are both on an
 approved GF diet. We took Beckie off the non wheat products because of her bad
headaches. She had about
 30 days off school this year with the bad headaches. The headaches have more or
less stopped but I have
 no proof that it is due to this diet or not. If Sasha's TT glutaminase test
comes back a lot higher than
 Beckies I will know that even the low levels of gluten she is having could be
damaging her gut. We shall

 > I wouldn't suggest going back to Actrapid, but maybe just trying the
> after the meal instead of before.

I dont really want to go back to Actrapid as I feel its a step backwards.

> On pumps it's really a matter of trial and error.
> Jacket potatoes or very slow-acting carbs (like lentils) mean I need a square
> wave bolus. What I do is this: say I would normally take 3 units of insulin
> with my meal. Instead I would try taking the same 3 units, but over a period
> of 3 hours instead of all at once (the Minimed pump has a facility to let you
> do this). If I did this and found that I was going high an hour after the
> meal, then I'd maybe try taking the 3 units over 2 hours instead. And keep
> experimenting till I got it right. For a jacket potato I now know I need to
> take the insulin over about 2 hours, and I need less insulin than I would
> normally take for that amount of carbs (I don't know why!). As with anything
> to do with diabetes, it's never entirely predictable, because you have so
> many other variables like exercise, alcohol, phases of the moon, etc. etc.
 > So you just have to do the best you can. I always favour the trial and error
> test and adjust approach, because my control is quite unpredictable, but some
> people are much more scientific about things. Elizabeth and I are almost
> totally opposite in our scientific vs trial and error approach to things, but
> neither method is really better - different things just work for different
> people.
> Di

 It does seem like Sasha has had quite a few days with meals that are likely to
cause delayed highs then.
 She had baked potato tonight. With a small amount of grated cheese. I dont
remember this meal having
 this effect before though, maybe I just didnt notice. Yesterday she had chicken
Korma and the day
 before GF chicken burger. Sasha normally doesnt eat much meat so the burger and
chicken curry were
 unusual. Also before the NPH used to be lowering her bg over the evening
peaking as about 11.pm. We
 always gave the NPH at 7.30. Maybe we are missing the bg lowering effect of the
NPH. Maybe I will have
to think about how I can work this out.