[IPk] Late blood sugar rises

Hi all

 I am wondering if anyone has any advice. Sasha has now been on Lantus for about
two weeks. Things
 aren't going too badly and Sasha's blood sugars are more predictable. We have
had to reduce the starting
 dose of Lantus which was 14 units ( Sasha previously took 17 units of NPH +
Novorapid with meals) Sasha
 now takes 11 units of Lantus which we give in the morning, as in the past we
have always had problems
 with overnight hypos. We seem to have to level of Lantus set correctly, in that
two hours after
 breakfast Sasha's blood sugars are still within the target range and hours
later they haven't changed
 that much. They have been dropping very slightly after 10.30 am so Sasha has an
apple or biscuit which
 would have been her normal snack time. By the time 12.00 midday comes her BG is
usually still within the
 target range 4.5 - 7.00. However the problem we are having is that, if I give
her the same insulin to
 carb dose for 65 carbs for the evening meal (or usually slightly less, as she
has a higher insulin to
 carb rate at breakfast) Sasha seems to go low and sometime below 3.5. Sometimes
the levels are OK , but
 later on, after about 9.30 pm her blood sugar levels seem to rise and then
carry on rising until we
 correct. Last night Sasha was 9.7 mmols at 10.30 but then her BG rose again and
at 2.00am it was
 11.5 mmols. I don't know if this is due to the sort of meal that she is eating,
Tuesday was a large GF
 chicken burger, Wednesday was curry and rice. Both of those meals had more
protein in than Sasha usually
 eats as she doesn't really like eggs or meat. If we correct the levels early in
the night then the
 levels will stay about the same level throughout the rest of the night. So
although two hours after the
 evening meal her BG is low, or in range then it continues to rise to about
16-17 mmols sometimes but this
 is usually 5 hours after the meal. I don't think we can increase the Lantus
more as she already drops
 slightly in the morning. If it is protein or fat causing the rise how do you
dose for this. I cant
 really give any more Novorapid with the meal. Does one just have to wait until
the rise had happened or

 The only other thing I can think of is switching the Lantus to the evening to
see if this helps. Which
we didn't really want to do.

Any ideas of what might be happening.?

Mum of Sasha aged 9 dx 1999