Re: [IPk] Is humalog being discontinued?

Hi Ingrid,

Where have you heard that Humalog would be discontinued? If the
information's not reliable, your source could be of great interest to
Lilly's legal counsel.

Given how many people are on Humalog now and what Humalog costs (last time I
checked, Lilly's suggested retail price per vial was US $37, which is about
GBP 20; could have risen since) , I should have thought it would be a really
dumb move even to sell the rights to make it. Also, Humalog's brand name is
phoenetically similar enough to Lilly's older Humulin brand insulins, which
was a stroke of genius as a marketing ploy. If Humalog were to need to be
totally rebranded by another company, I would project that confusion among
pharmacists, doctors, nurses, and insulin users would cause mass switches to
Novorapid 'just to be on the safe side'--when the name of  a product
changes, there's always the prospect that its composition has been altered
as well (even if that prospect exists only in our minds).

Something tells me that actual news about certain concentrations or vial
sizes being temporarily unavailable, as Helen had heard, might have caused a
few people's imaginations to run wild, but I could be wrong. Companies do
silly things all the time! I'll make a few phone calls on Monday and let you
know what I hear from Lilly directly.

Melissa (<--had management consulting interviews back in January; gets far
too analytical too fast)
IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 7 years