RE: [IPk] no insulin

Hi Gail

 I subscribe to children with diabetes e mail support list and from time to time
there are parents with
 children who have had to stop the insulin for a short while. In some cases the
pancreas, after having a
 "rest" and insulin being given, begins to make enough insulin again though this
is usually for a very
 short while. In some cases the child has had to be taken off insulin
temporarily, because they are
 having hypos. It didn't happen to Sasha, she needed two injections a day
straight away and during a
 quite short honeymoon still needed a fair amount of insulin. This sometimes
happens to Adults who have
 slow on set type 1. It can take years to develop and they may only need very
small amounts of insulin
 for years. I met two adults at a local DUK meeting last month. One adult male,
a scaffolder, ( bit
 worried about hypos being high up! ) thin build! was only taking about quarter
of the amount of insulin
 that Sasha takes, I asked him when his was diagnosed expecting him to say
recently and he said five
 years ago. Another woman in her 30's recently DX was also taking tiny amount of
insulin.

Jackie
Mum of Sasha