From: email @ redacted
Date: 11 July 2003 11:41:41
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] no insulin

On 11 Jul 2003 at 9:28, Gail DAVIES wrote:

> hi darren, if you are taking no insulin and your sugars are
> good with only diet alterations then you must have been
> misdiagnosed and have type 2 not type 1,

My brother controlled his diabetes with diet and tables for
about 2 years before moving to insulin but he doesn't seem
like a type 2. He became diabetic at 21 and is skinny. My
daughter Emily was using less than 0.5 units of insulin per
KG for about 2 years and this is the definition of the
honeymoon period so maybe our family has a very slow onset
form of diabetes. We were told that insulin requirements
may go right down or even not be needed during the
honeymoon period when Emily was diagnosed though they
advise parents to continue with injections even if it's
just one unit.

I believe there is a test that can tell you if you have
type 1, possibly looking for anti-bodies? I think research
has shown that continuing insulin treatment, even when it
doesn't seem necessary, can extend the honeymoon period and
is a 'good thing'.

Mum to Emily aged 11, dx Oct '99
Novorapid x 4, Glargine x 1,
Robert aged 12 dx Mar '03
Novomix 30 x 2 (+ Novorapid when hungry!),
and Matthew aged 7.

 [demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type Image/gif which had a name of