[IPk] Pump - Doctor's Comments

Hi everybody,

 I would be interested to hear the comments of all you pumping experts on a
statement made by the doctor I saw at the Diabetes Clinic yesterday.

 We were discussing my going on to a pump. (This has been decided with the help
and support of the DSN, but I think the doctor remains uncertain as to the
merits of a pump in my case.) One of the reasons I gave was better and tighter
control (i.e. fewer highs and lows) and, hopefully, a better HbA1c.

 She made this comment, "Successive studies - including studies which have been
carried out on the same group of people over years and years - have proven that
it is _not_ the swings between low and high that matter, but the _average_ (i.e.
the HbA1c levels). Remember - if I tested my blood after lunch I could be 11.1."

 While I can accept that this may be what studies show, is that the case simply
because the volume of studies on pump users does not yet exist? I know how bad I
feel when I come out of a meeting with a BG of 12+. Given that I am in
meetings/giving presentations 3-4 days a week, surely these regular highs _must_
have at least a long-term effect?

 I'd be interested to hear your comments, and details of any studies which have
been done on pumpers which showed tighter control and better HbA1c.

Many thanks,