Re: [IPk] Funding

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
 >I have indeed obtained funding after a review a few weeks ago. However, I
 >have thought that most of the patients requiring funding already have a pump
 >have been identified etc etc. So the twelve month argument does seem not to
>that much water.

Yes, I think twelve months is perfectly reasonable for a patient to miss
the boat by being seen at clinic in January, being put on Lantus in
September, demonstrating failure by December, and being trained in
January (i.e. that's the worst case scenario).  Most people should have
their six-monthiles and start of lantus before September.

I'd be willing to see a slightly longer period for the very unlucky
(i.e. unable to make the Sept appointment due to sickness, and Lantus
not being properly trial-able in three months (e.g. it appears that
control is ok apart from the week around menstruation, but two of those
three awful episodes were also co-incidental with major stress (death of
a parent) and flu, so you want to try a couple more months to see
whether menstruation really does require nearly twice the basal of non-
menstruation.  As I said, a really unlucky diabetic!  For them, not
getting a pump until May next year is understandable.

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, slightly shell-shocked by her first day of Prince2
Foundation training to day)

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)