Re: [IPk] Glucotrol

Dear Helen,

What you have come across is less gross ignorance and more gross negligence,
I think. Susan Clark didn't do her research or check her facts and she wrote
a very sloppy article with some mistakes that 15 minutes worth of WWW
research could have avoided.

1. She confused Glucotrol (generic name glipizide) with Glucosol (herbal

2. She got the name of the manufacturer wrong. Glucosol is made by the
Allergy Research Group, not the Vitamin Research Group (which doesn't
exist...but there is a company called Vitamin Research Products that makes
nothing spelled or sounding like either Glucotrol or Glucosol).

I hope she gets a nasty letter from someone at Pfizer. I bet she's set
herself up for a libel suit.

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 7 years
For the record....

>From the website of the pharmaceuticals firm Pfizer, which manufactures
Glucotrol, the sulfonylurea used treat type 2:

'Glipizide is a whitish, odorless powder with a pKa of 5.9. It is insoluble
in water and alcohols, but soluble in 0.1 N NaOH; it is freely soluble in
dimethylformamide. GLUCOTROL XL . is a registered trademark for glipizide
GITS. Glipizide GITS (Gastrointestinal Therapeutic System) is formulated as
a once-a-day controlled release tablet for oral use and is designed to
deliver 2.5, 5, or 10 mg of glipizide.
Inert ingredients in the 2.5 mg, 5 mg and 10 mg formulations are:
polyethylene oxide, hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, mag-nesium stearate,
sodium chloride, red ferric oxide, cellulose acetate, polyethylene glycol,
opadry blue (OY-LS-20921)(2.5 mg tablets), opadry white (YS-2-7063)(5 mg and
10 mg tablet) and black ink (S-1-8106).'

>From the website of the Allergy Research Group, which manufacutures
Glucosol, the herbal supplement:

'Each (1) softgel contains: Glucosol (from Lagerstroemia speciosa L., 1%
Corosolic Acid)  24 mg
Other ingredients: Rice bran oil, silicon dioxide.'