[IPk] Funding

Hi All

 My MP wrote a few weeks ago to the Minister of State for the Department of
Health to obtain clarification on Nice Guidelines etc.

 Here is an extract from the letter that was sent back to my MP from Rosie
Winterton MP:

 As you are aware, the national Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE) issued
its full guidance on the use of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for
diabetes in February 2003.

 Normally the NHS has a statutory responsibility for providing funding to
implement NICE recommendations within three months. On this occassion, however,
NICE advised that it would not be realistic to expect the NHS to implement the
main recomendation within tree months, since time would be needed to assess and
identify suitable patients and to train them in the use of insulin pumps.
Ministers have agreed that the normal three-month period should be extended to
12 months, and management guidance will be issued to the NHS in the near future.

 You may consider that, if Mr Woodley has indeed passed all the necessary
criteria for the use of insulin pump treatment a review locally would be

Rosie Winterton

 I have indeed obtained funding after a review a few weeks ago. However, I would
have thought that most of the patients requiring funding already have a pump and
have been identified etc etc. So the twelve month argument does seem not to hold
that much water.