Re: [IPk] Lantus ( working out how much you need)

I, and I think others from what I have heard on here and from the DSN, find
that Lantus seems to cause early morning drops (3 to 6 am), even if the BG was
OK on going to bed. (Although I was told the Lantus has a level background
 right through). A snack before bed, without any humalog tends to help this.
also found that I've needed to reduce the amount of Humalog I take for meals,
etc. Don't know if this is anything to do with the Lantus providing a more
efficient background level.

Do you normally give extra short acting for correcting levels under 13? Just
that I was always told to only do this if it was over 13. My BG would drop too
dramatically if I gave anything for a BG under this. I would say next time
 leave the BG if it is 12 or so. The Lantus should kick in and take care of

It took a few weeks for my BG's to 'level (as level as they get anyway)! I
 did need to experiment with the dosage a fair bit and eventually come down to
units whereas with the Humlin I was taking 12. I had tried 8 but that led to
too many highs.

I do still get lows early am, though. My 'peak' tends to be 9am to 11am. Glad
the gym went better this week for you. What you said about the exercise
 affecting things later on could be true. I know after a busy day, my BG's will
long after the event.

Hope this helps