Re: [IPk] D- UK

In message <01c601c342e8$a00f29a0$email @ redacted>, Abigail King
<email @ redacted> writes
>There was an article a few months back about a woman who had had D for years
>and had gone from 2 injections pre day ( and 2-3 BG per week) to DAFNE. On the
>one hand she insisted that she had neve let D stop her from living a normal
>life but in the next sentence she was describing how she always had to stop
>for meals at fixed times and was scared to travel in case a meal was delayed.
>Sad or what!

The 'I won't let diabetes stopping me have a normal life' is one of the
mantras we are taught.  We are also taught not to examine the concept of
'a normal life'.

The 'normal life' concept is an ideological tool used against people
with many different disabilities as a means of control.    If anyone
draws attention to the logical fallacies here, the whole thing
a) 'a normal life' is a good thing, associated with happiness and
b) you want the freedom to live a normal life, as this will make you
c) in order to have a normal life, you have to do what I say
d) doing what you want isn't normal, or will lead to things which are

Best wishes to all,

(dm 30+, 508 2+, living something so much finer than a 'normal life')
Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)