[IPk] First two weeks of pumping....

Hello everybody

hope you are all well.

I used to be a member on here but took a break for a while, but now I am

Two weeks ago I started on a pump, and I thought I would share with you my

I had been thinking about pumping for a while (I reckon three years...) but
recently Peter and I had been thinking about starting a family and we
realised the best thing for my health (and the baby's...) would be for me to
go on a pump.

My clinic (at Kings') was very supportive, but it still took a while (I
reckon just over a year).  I was switched from Ultratard to Insulatard,
which helped for a while, but then I started to get erratic morning bgs and
I was hypoing alot mid-morning, but in the afternoon it was running
out....Next step was to do DAFNE, which (before pumping!) was the single
best thing I had done for my DM.  For the first time in my d-life, I didn't
feel guilty about eating "naughty" food, and I reckon my cravings for
chocolates, sweets actually went down.

Still however HbA1c not quite low enough (last one before pumping was 7.1%)
so I saw a consultant at Kings' who agreed to "lend" me a pump till I have a

Anyway, I started two weeks ago.  The first day DID NOT GO WELL!  I got the
pump in the afternoon, and on my way home I had a muffin.  It was very
strange not injecting for it, I did bolus for it though.  When I got home I
took a reading and I was 26.6.  Now I have misjudged things before, but not
that badly.  Then I had dinner, took extra boluses, but before bed still
over 20.  So I injected normally - I didn't want to go in DKA....next
morning I woke up at 9.0, so presumed things were OK.  Had breakfast,
bolused, but on my way to work I felt really sick and when I tested I was
26.  So something wasn't right....Anyway throughout the day I tested and
injected, and when I got home I trouble-shooted - tested the pump - which
was fine, so I finally realised the problem was with me.  So I changed my
site, and I found that the cannula was bent over, and that it had never even
been in me....no wonder I was so high!

So I changed site, and since then things have been hunky-dory.

I have a lot more energy, I feel more alert and alive, my head is clearer, I
can exercise and not have bgs shoot all over the place, and after adjusting
my morning basal for dawn phenomen, I have been waking up with "normal"

All in all, while I am not, in some respects I feel "non-diabetic".

It is an amazing feeling, and I know that I still have a long way to go, I
feel like it is a brilliant start, and I certainly wish I had done it

Anyway sorry this is so long, but I thought there might be some people out
there thinking about starting, and I thought I would share my experiences.
Oops I almost forgot the best bit, I had my HbA1c done this morning, and it
was 6.5, after only 2 weeks down from 7.1%!!!!

Talk later,