Re: [IPk] Going to a meeting about Lantus

 I started on lantus last September. Basically, I was just changed over after
talking it over with the consultant then with weekly appts with the DSN (I live
some distance from the consultant clinic so it was easier to see my local
DSN).The DSN was always available on the telephone, too.
 I was told to drop the dosage of the evening injection of lantus (given at the
same time I used to give the humilin, before bed) then monitor carefully. I was
also changed over to novorapid but have since changed this back to humalog as it
didn't work very well for me. The lantus seemed to take a long time to get
settled in my system. It took about a week for it to have any effect at all.
That is, it seemed as though I wasn't taking any ninsulin at all except the
short acting. But I had been warened to expect this and it does settle.
 You definitely need to have close contact and follow up with your clinic and
cons/DSN during the changeover. Do not let them just fob you off with changing
by a telephone call or single meeting.
 I can say that the control is much better with the lantus than with the
previous regimen. As I say, in my case it's given the same way as the previous
regimen: One evening injection of lantus then MDI of humalog. You do need very
close monitoring. Test test test! And you do need that follow up.
 As i say, control has been better. But for me it's not perfect. But with the
NICE guidleines you have to have a trial of this before pumping will be
considered. It is worth a go.
 I am now being considered for a pump as I still have hypos and still have
swings and roundabouts.
Hope this helps.
BW Helen