Re: [IPk] Re: We're new to all this...

Pat - welcome home :-)

What has been discussed is that Melissa kindly dug up some medical stats
which suggest that 1 in 10 people with Type 1 diabetes has a close relation
with Type 1 diabetes. We have about 200 people in this discussion group -
so I'd expect about 20 people here to also have close family with Type 1
diabetes. For the other 180 of us, the diabetes just came out of the blue...

The plot gets even more complex when you consider that there are many many
different things that cause Type 1 diabetes. Lots of different viruses will
upset and confuse the immune system. The end result is the same: beta-cells
detroyed. But the cause of the diabetes in two different people may be
quite different.

mailto:email @ redacted