Re: [IPk] Re: We're new to all this...

>Fewer than 10% of people with type 1 have a near relative who also has it.

That's broadly the same figure I've seen quoted around the place. But it
does appear to vary a lot from country to country and between different
ethnic groups.

No one in my immediate family has Type 1 diabetes. My great-grandfather
died of "pneumonia" in Glasgow in 1910 - and this was commonly a
misdiagnosis for Type 1 diabetes before the disease could be treated. My
elder sister had high BG levels in her 2nd pregnancy. Everything cleared up
after the birth, but she now gets checked out for Type 2 diabetes once a
year. And my cousin has polycystic ovaries - PCO - and this may be an
autoimmune disease which often gives rise to Type 2 diabetes later in life.
Not sure. She recently had a pregancy miscarry early on, and is still
eagerly trying.

mailto:email @ redacted