Re: [IPk] airlines

> The guidelines also make it very clear the standards of behaviour which
> are expected from security staff: e.g. they must not request that you
> must remove the pump.  They can request a visual and physical
> examination, but must offer to do this in a private area.  They must let
> you sit down if you want to.  They suggest that you alert them before
> they discover the pump, ask if you want to sit down, say if you are
> hypo, etc. etc.

You can insist on this if you want, but I'm in favour of making life easy for
yourself, particularly if you have limited time!
If they ask you to take it off and put it through the Xray machine, then you
might as well just comply rather than make a fuss. It doesn't hurt you or the
pump to do that (assuming it's in an accessible place - always a good tip
when travelling!) and it saves you a lot of hassle and arguing.

What I do is this. I carry a doctor's letter with me but have never been
asked to show it - if I were asked I would of course show it to them.
I don't declare any sharp objects in my bag unless they search my bag and
look at my needles and say "what's this?" - which they've only done once in
Cairo 10 years ago when they emptied every single person's bag.
When I go through Xray I don't declare the pump. And I don't usually wear it
conspicuously on the outside. If I set off the beeper (which occasionally
happens) then I let them frisk me. If they find the pump I tell them what it
is. If they ask me if I can remove it I say I can but I'd rather not because
it's a medical device. If they *tell* me to remove it then I let them put it
through the Xray machine (and make sure they put it in a container and are
careful with it).

I fly abroad, including the US, roughly every couple of months, and have
never had any problem with security with this attitude. In fact I've had more
problems with my white stick and my laptop! They seemto be convinced that my
laptop is a bomb and that my white stick contains either drugs or explosive
devices inside :-)