[IPk] Re: Time zone basals

In a message dated 7/19/2002 8:09:27 AM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> I recall several posts on what to do with basals during a flight across
> time zones; I remember the collective wisdom is to set a temp basal from
> the start of the flight until getting up the morning after.  The temp
> basal is set at the lowest level of basal given during a normal day.
> Does anyone with wildly differing basal rates find that 'lowest level of
> basal' is too low to do this?  My basal rate ranges from 0.1 to 0.9 per
> hour.

Hi all,

I also have variable rates (from 0.3 to 0.9 per hour).  Despite the lack of
activity and changes in sleeping etc, I seem to need less insulin when
flying, so I set the pump to a baseline (0.4) and then test hourly. I seldom
need to give correcting boluse except for those funny flight time meals (if I
eat them - and WHY do I always eat those awful meals? - is it because I know
I've already paid for them?!).  The problem comes at the other end... once I
arrive, I use the normal basal programme but adjust the time on the pump by
1-2 hours per day, which seems to work -  I guess because my body is
adjusting at a similar rate.

The correct term is "ophthalmologist" (you'll be crucified if you call
him/her an optician...)