Re: [IPk] Programming the Pump

In message <email @ redacted>, Michael
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hmmm..... maybe I have misunderstood. From the gist of your first
>post I got the impression your program wish list was to input blood
>sugar data, , carb ratios, etc.... and have a program figure out what
>the basals should be..... somehow I think that's not what you meant.
>A program to just up/download settings to the pump would do the trick
>and is available from MM as their "com station" as I understand it.
>There is a list member in France doing just that.
Hi, yes, that's right.  I just want to be able to programme my basals.
What may have confused you is I have a great idea about how I want to do
it.  Most people (i.e. everyone except the list member in France?)
programmes a minimed by going
midnight (beepety beep buttons)  something units.
next time (beepenty beep buttons) different amount of units
(and so on.  12 times in my case, 3 different profiles. E001 errors are
a big pain!)

The usual pc solution to this would be a little table or spreadsheet
where you would type
midnight - something units
next time - different time - different amount of units
(and so on).

Now, I know what the Humalog action rate is.  And (like most people, I
guess) I look at my bg results and think, not 'Oh, I need to increase my
5am rate by 0.1 units, but then not go up by 0.2 units at 7am, but not
increase it at all', but 'oh, I need a bit more insulin to be active at
7-ish, but I don't need quite as much at nine'.

And so it seems to me that the easiest way to reprogramme the pump is to
get a computer programme to display an insulin activity line (this is
dead easy, and I have done it using lotus 123), but not a line produced
from a table, but a line that is controllable and puts results in the
table.  So the user would go to their current line, and 'pull it up a
bit' at 7am, and 'push it down a bit' at 9am.  Rather than the table
generating the line, the line would then generate the table.

Yes, of course a stupid operator could end up dragging the line to a
place that would send them high or low.  But the same controls would be
in place that prevent a stupid operator from doing that with the
buttons, or entering values into the table with the wrong decimal place.

Hannah at medtronic said their software didn't work to control the pump,
only to download information from it.  Is there someone in the US who
knows how the com station works who I could talk to about this?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, stupid operator of 508 1+, asserts intellectual
property rights in 'fineline control pump management')
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)