Re: [IPk] soft-sense

On 14 Jul 2002 at 19:49, Jackie Jacombs wrote:

> I also bought a One Touch Ultra which only cost #12 pounds
> but I used to whole tub of 10 strips it came with trying to
> get it to work on Sasha!  I worked fine on me but left my
> arm with small bruises.  The Ultra works by using a clear
> plastic device on the end of the lancer  It pricks, then you
> keep it pressed on the arm and in theory a drop of blood
> wells up and when there is enough you just bring the strip
> up to it.

We have the One Touch Ultra too. I tried the pricker that came with it on my
arm a few times and it really hurt and I didn't get enough blood. I tried the
Softclix II finger pricker that we have had from the beginning on the highest
setting, hardly felt it and got enough blood!

It's a bit more hit and miss on Emily (aged 10) as Jackie and Andrew have
found. We have found that placing the clear plastic bit from the end of the
One Touch Ultra pricker around the puncture and gently press it onto
Emily's arm a few times seems to help. The clinic nurse suggested doing
this when it's on the finger pricker and it does help.

I think I had better look into buying another Softclix finger pricker as this one
is nearly 3 years old. Emily has tried a few different ones when we have
been given new meters and always finds them more painful.

Mum to Emily aged 10, dx Oct '99
Humalog x 3, Humalog Mix 25 x 1