Re: [IPk] Programming the Pump

Thanks for this John.

I don't have a com station thingy.  But if it can be used to programme
the pump, I would look at getting one!

Michael - by 'automatically' I don't mean that the computer takes it
into its own head to tell the pump to do something.  It's like
automatically dialling a remote computer through a modem: I, as the user
say 'go to the Demon / English Heritage / Freeserve / University of York
server, and the computer takes that instruction and translates it into
the beeps and burrs which will get me hooked to the computer at the
other end.  It doesn't decide all by itself that I need to read emails
at Demon, edit a database at York or whatever!  The computer didn't
decide by itself what the telephone number for Demon is, either.  I told

Similarly, the pump software I'm envisioning won't decide that I need to
exercise, get a cold, or whatever.  I will tell the computer that I need
a certain basal pattern, and it will do the beeps and burrs (or rather,
the infra-red flashes) which will save me a lot of button pushing. It
won't decide by itself what the pattern for exercise is, either.  Like
Demon's telephone number, it will know because I've told it.

No computer-as-god/doctor at all: all keys pressed by a human
(regrettably - I have found that virtually every time I get a non-
perfect bg there is human operator error - pump error is very rare, and
I'd gladly hand over control to it!)

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 1+, looking at a thesis for which I am very much afraid that
over the next six months I must learn xtml, and establish an SQL
database server. Wish the computer _could_ think for itself!

In message <l03130303b9558aa57f08@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>Pat - MiniMed is driven primarily by the US market. We are just a spin-off.
>If you understand how the legal restrictions of the US healthcare market
>work, I'm sure you could earn a lot of money as a lobbyist on Capitol
>But I digress.
>Have you got a Comm-Station thingy? If so, you can get your computer to
>talk to your pump. If you have the skills to program a spreadsheet to
>produce nice curves etc, you surely have the skills to write the software
>you want. It seems hard because you've not yet done it. Choose your
>prgramming language, and let us know how you get on.
>I've done a bit of programming in my time, and I personally think that for
>various reasons it is easier to program things directly into the screen on
>a pump, than to connect the pump to a computer and do everything remotely.
>But that's only my opinion.
>mailto:email @ redacted

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)