Re: [IPk] Programming the Pump

> Dear John,
>
> Medtronic say that the only software they have is software where the
> pump talks to the pc - that is, you can download what your pump has
> recorded, much like one downloads a meter.
>
> What I want is something that works the other way round!  I want a
> PC (and preferably palm, too) programme, where I can 'drag' the
> activity curve of insulin, and the computer calculates what
> programme of basal rate will give me that curve, and sends it to the
> pump.

There are some real serious liability problems with such a program. I
doubt that you will ever see it. The closest thing will probably be
simulator programs like the one on the HOWTO page of the web site and
one currently under development by Jewish Friends With Diabetes.

For a company to represent that such a program can "set your basal
rates" amounts to the practice of medicine -- a clear no-no. Such
tools are approximations only, based on the "average" patient on a
good day. Sure, they are helpful, but they don't and can't replace
good judgement and assistance from qualified medical staff and/or
your own brain :-)

To try the simulator, see:

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto.shtml
"Insulin Pumpers Basal Rate Estimator"