[IPk] Re: night-time high BG's

I would second the advice Di has given you - very sound.  I have problems
with high and low BG's during the night.  If you are going to change your
basal rate, it is wise to only adjust by a small amount at a
time(remembering that the dose that went into you two hours ago causes the
current BG, with Humalog).

I too have found that restricting carb intake before I go to bed gives me
better night time/morning BG's.  Ideally I will eat 3 hours before sleeping.
My BG result just before bed should then(in theory.... if the basal rate is
set correctly)  be similar to the one I wake up with i.e. you don't want a
falling/rising blood sugar as you sleep - hard to predict surplus insulin
requirements and therefore hypo/nasty high BG's all night will ensue.

In practise I often become hungry after dinner, eat before bed, take insulin
for this, which inevitably doesn't match (and I can't take blood tests in my
sleep, not regularly anyway), and have a high BG in the morning, which for
me is better than that DULL, THUNPING post-hypo headache I can wake up with.

Hope this helps........

Hi John
I'd go for the suspending diabetes option :-)
Probably the only way is to set your alarm and do the dreaded 3am
Might also be worth being very careful about what you eat in the evening
before bed.
I get much more predictable nighttime BGs by restricting my carb intake
much as possible) in the evening.