[IPk] Re: night-time high BG's

John,

I would second the advice Di has given you - very sound.  I have problems
with high and low BG's during the night.  If you are going to change your
basal rate, it is wise to only adjust by a small amount at a
time(remembering that the dose that went into you two hours ago causes the
current BG, with Humalog).

I too have found that restricting carb intake before I go to bed gives me
better night time/morning BG's.  Ideally I will eat 3 hours before sleeping.
My BG result just before bed should then(in theory.... if the basal rate is
set correctly)  be similar to the one I wake up with i.e. you don't want a
falling/rising blood sugar as you sleep - hard to predict surplus insulin
requirements and therefore hypo/nasty high BG's all night will ensue.

In practise I often become hungry after dinner, eat before bed, take insulin
for this, which inevitably doesn't match (and I can't take blood tests in my
sleep, not regularly anyway), and have a high BG in the morning, which for
me is better than that DULL, THUNPING post-hypo headache I can wake up with.

Hope this helps........

Louis

************

Hi John
I'd go for the suspending diabetes option :-)
Probably the only way is to set your alarm and do the dreaded 3am
tests.....
Might also be worth being very careful about what you eat in the evening
before bed.
I get much more predictable nighttime BGs by restricting my carb intake
(as
much as possible) in the evening.
Di