[IPk] Disaster

Well how is this for a lucky escape.  I have just returned
from a field trip to the Isle of Wight (something geologists
do I'm afraid - look at rocks all day and get drunk all
night!).  We arrived at our hotel at about 5:30 pm on Monday
and feeling hungry I was about to tuck into the biscuits on
offer with the tea and coffee in my room when I realised that
my pump (508 10 months old) was not working properly.  Every
time I pressed a button it went dead and then started up as
if I was changing the batteries!  I couldn't do a self test
or anything.  I waited to hear it click so that I could check
it was still delivering the basal rates and it was so I went
to get my spare bottle of humalog out.  I figured that this
was not a complete disaster as I could just bolus manually.
The came the second problem, I dropped the bottle on the
floor and smashed it!(only the 3rd time in 25 yrs of being
diabetic).  Things now started to look a little tricky.  I
hunted around in the hotel literature and got the medical
centre number and phoned them.  It was now 5:55 pm and it was
explained that they shut in 5 minutes.  I spoke to a very
nice nurse who saud that she would go the pharmacy (as they
also shut in 5 minutes) with an emergency prescription if I
could get down to the medical centre in 5 minutes to sign the
forms.  Well this was where being fit came into its own!  I
went to reception, grabbed a map and sprinted the 3/4 of a
mile into town, kissed the nurse and the bottle of humalog
and sprinted back!

I was SO lucky!  I did not want to have to find one of my
colleagues to give me a lift to the island hospital (I didn't
take my car).  They know I am diabetic but don't think its
any big deal.  I want to keep their perception that way!

Anyway that worked fine, not easy bolusing small amounts
manually even with a 0.5 ml syringe but I was fine.  Pump
still not working properly - can't use any buttons.  I phoned
Meditronic last night on the 24 hr number and had to give all
my details but no-one phoned back.  They didn't seem to know
anything about pumps.  I will phone customer support this
morning and hopefully they will be able to fix it quickly for

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader

Phone: 0118  929 2422