[IPk] Re: Danielle went to a party today and it was a nightmare

Hi Barbara

Yes, I  remember parties like this!  I suddenly when your child is diabetic
there are all these gooey cakes with  four layers of icing etc.  Fortunately
the parties we have usually attended seemed to be sports type parties where a
hot meal is on offer, although may be not anymore healthy because they are
usually chips and nuggets or sausages etc.  We now have to have our own GF

I usually stay at most parties as it is usually a time when Sasha needs an

I think kids lose track of how much they do eat and after all if you actually
look at the carb count most savoury biscuits are  very much the same carb
count as sweet ones.  So it may be even she just ate mostly the savoury stuff
she would have been high.  Sasha sometimes goes high at parties due to the
excitement.  We went to one at an indoor soft play area with massive
undulating slides and drop slides.  She played for an hour and came back to
eat and I took her bg and it was 18 mmols.

Other times she will be low.   I do hate it when we get loads of sweets in
party bags.  I always feel wicked when I try to take them away.  I used to
make my older kids save them for another day.  What I used to do with the
twins was to give them money for their money box and put the sweets in an old
cake tin (then I eat them later!!!  no, not really, sometimes I do have the
odd two or three).
Now of course it's a problem because a lot of sweets aren't gf.  Smarties have
wheat flour in!!!!
So its a  double blow when they get sweets.  I think people put sweets in
because they are cheap.  I did party bags for the twin's parties and if you
have 20 kids or so to a big party and buy something for a pound each party
bag, that adds another #20 pounds on the party bill.

The Sasha was in hospital just before Christmas once and while they were there
there was a competition to design a Christmas Card to be published and sold
for the hospital charity.  Both the twins entered and Beckie, who is good at
art won a prize.  We went to collect it and of course it was a huge box of
chocolates!!!  Sasha and Beckie were a bit miffed as they knew that they would
be  rationed.  Its not the same just having one or two when your mum says.

I also have a friend who live opposite and every year she gives the twins
sweets for their birthday. It sort of the opposite of people who think
diabetics should never eat a piece of cake or chocolate!!!

If the party is over the lunch time I can never cover the food on her usual
insulin.  I remember once when we went to Centre Parcs a few months after DX.
We arrived at about 12.00 and had lunch at one of the American style
restaurants and Sasha probably had something like chicken nuggets, chips and
beans.  Later on towards teatime I took her blood sugar and it was 32 !!!!
talk about panicking!!!
We phone our D nurse on her mobile but couldn't get hold of her.  Sasha seemed
just fine.  It was just this week when Sasha was coming out of the honeymoon
period too.  I was shocked that because she had been sat in a car for 2 hours
then had a slightly bigger lunch that it would go up this high.

I am assuming that this was a lunchtime event as you don't mention an
injection.  I don't think she would have to eat much over normal to get these
figures.  If Sasha does have a lunchtime party I stay now and give her insulin
with the food.  Short acting, only a unit or unit and a half is enough to stop
it going to high I don't want to overdo it.  I must admit I do  get fed up
having to go to every party!!!  It takes 3 hours or more out of the day.
tomorrow they have a party at Fundays which is about 30 minutes drive away and
it's at lunch time.  She will need to eat her packed lunch first as its at
12.00 and the other kids wont be eating until 1.30pm.  They will be having
chips etc and she and Beckie have their own gf food  (I bought Harry Potter
card board party boxes to put their food in.  They will be running around so
much that I have to be there as she might go low and I know that the mother of
the party girl will panic.

I get the situation when its a wet day and the kids are in all the time Sasha
comes home really high high.

Jeff Hitchcock, who created and runs the Children with diabetes web site said
that you should never look at the blood sugar levels as "good" or "bad" but
just as numbers.  High numbers just mean that you need more insulin, low
number something to eat or too much insulin.  He said to try not to be
judgemental as it will only lead to children feeling that they have done
something wrong and when they are older they will not tell you things if they
think you are going to blame them.  I know it's very hard to do this and I
still say things like "well that's good"  and "Oh dear" or such like when they
are high.  Numbers are numbers not good or bad but high, low and in range.  I
still have to bite my lip at times and just say "Oh that's a bit high!!!, what
do you think we should do? ......... in a squeaky voice trying not to to be

Of course Barbara you will have been through all this yourself as a child or
young person with diabetes, can you remember what you did, or didnt do and
what helped and what didnt.

You cant rant away all you like that's what we are hear for.

I hope tomorrow is a better day.