[IPk] Video tape from the Diabetes Federation of Ireland

Hi Tony

I have just received a copy of the video tape for schools and I think it will
be extremely useful.  Most of the children featured are a lot older than Sasha
but the points were very well made about the need to test when there is a
problem and that it is not something that can wait and the need for snacks and
meals to be regular and on time.  I wish I had had it sooner.  I still  have
frequent problems with the school.  Last week they were doing singing in the
school hall, these rehearsals went pass the time when Sasha usually  tests .
She tests at 12.00  they do not eat lunch until 12.30, if she is low, and she
is usually between 4 and 6 mmols then she has a biscuit and then the rest of
her lunch with the others.  A recording was being made and they were told not
to talk etc.  Sasha didnt realise what the time was or how long the would
continue.  She was very low when she did get her lunch.

Yesterday they were not in their usual class as their teacher was showing next
years new children their new classrooms and introducing them to the teacher
that they will be having.  All the year 3s were not in there normal classes
and they were doing unfamiliar things and Sasha didnt know what the time was,
her diabetes kit and snacks were the other side of the school,in the confusion
her snack was not given and she went  low. 2.5 and was very pale and shaky
still I collected her.

These things seem to happen frequently and she often has teachers do not seem
to have been reminded of what to do.  We also have a new Head Teacher starting
in September so we will have to go and see all the staff again.

I am worried about the school losing the video as they have lost the
information packs I have send in the past.  I don't know if I can make another
copy of it.  Does anyone know how you can do this?

Mum to twins  Sasha and Rebecca  aged  8.  Sasha DX D 1999,  both coeliac
2001,  Mum also, to Danielle and Nicole. Wife to Terry.

Novorapid  X 2

Insulatard   X 2