Re: [IPk] Re:Ice cream in hospital

>I was always given vanilla ice cream in hospital too (quite runny by the time
>I got to eat it) but they told me it was a low fat version and that ice cream
>did not contain enough sugar to be concerned as it was mostly milk-related.
>There are all different sorts of ice cream and they vary a lot in how much
>sugar is added.  I wish I knew where to get the ice cream that they gave us
>in hospital actually.

I think they may have been confused between lactose (milk-sugar, count
it as CHO) and fructose (fruit-sugar, count it as CHO, but it's sweeter
than sugar, so you eat less of it).

There are some very palatable low calorie ice creams out there -
weightwatchers do a fair vanilla, and, I think a chocolate-bit one.  It
was about 5 years ago that I was trying to loose weight, so things have
probably improved in the range since then.  Or why not go for the most
expensive ice cream (ben and jerrys oriel-cookie fan here), but buy less
of it, eat less of it?

If it's low-fat you are interested in, then I recommend the amazing
varieties of sorbet - Waitrose own range in particular are wonderful -
lemon, mango, champagne.  The fruit ones taste wonderful with a
tablespoon of very, very chilled vodka over the top.

Have you tried home-made ice cream?  It's a fun way to spend a rainy
day, and you can try bizarre things which you'ld _never_ find in the
shops. I liked honey and brown bread ice cream!  No time to cook at the
moment - roll on 2006!

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)