Re: [IPk] Food

> And, of course, the unreliable absorbtion of insulin after a hypo means
> that it's much harder to get a correct bolus for what you do eat. Have
> you tried moving all your targets up , so that you don't hypo, until
> achieving a smooth line, and then dropping your targets again?

Yes, I had a strange experience last night. Occasionally when I get a very
bad hypo I overcompensate with food, but then I usually conservatively bolus
for what I think is extra (once I'm back to normal) and test every hour or so
for the next few hours.
Last night I had dinner as usual and then found I was low about 2 hours later.
My warning signs had obviously failed - because I've had a few hypos in the
last few days - and I was obviously quite low before I realised. It took a
long time to come back to normal, but I also know that I took way too much
carb. I waited an hour and then tested, and found that I was at 3.3 again and
falling. My Bg then dropped like a stone and it took even longer to come out
of that hypo. And this was after I was convinced I had overcompensated for
the first one (but obviously I hadn't!).  By this time it was 10pm and I was
shattered, so I went to bed and took 1.5 units - since this time I really was
convinced I had overcompensated, and I was sure the food I had had before
must still be active. I shold really have taken more insulin, but I was a bit
worried about another low in the night and no warning signs. I was actually
very surprised to find my BG this morning was only 12 and not 21!
Talk about unreliable insulin and food absorption after a hypo!

I can't think of any real reason for this - I hadn't even done any particular
exercise yesterday apart from my normal walking to work and back. Must have
just been "one of those weird things"!

> > I am trying to
> >cut down on Carbohydrates (as I eat a great deal each day, or that is how
> > it feels - UI thinka legacy of being on far too much insulin on MDI).
> > Has anyone found this to be a useful technique??
> The only think I've ever found to work is eating only when I'm hungry,
> and stopping eating when I'm no longer hungry - easy on the pump - I
> have been loosing weight steadily over the last year.  Some people find,
> however that pumping means they put weight on - either because their
> dietary habits change, or because they are (ironically) much healthier
> (i.e. the food goes on their hips, not down the toilet).

For me, a combination of the two work best. I find lowering the carbs and
increasing the protein makes me less hungry, and keeps my BG levels more
stable, and this in turn helps with the weight.

> I still don't see why you are trying to cut down on carbs rather than
> food - carbs, tending being faster, tend to satisfy faster (hence the
> fruit!)

Ah, they may satisfy faster but the effect wears off faster. For me anyway.
So I'm hungry again sooner.

> Of course, the obvious candidate to cut out is alcohol - but I've never
> found that a particularly attractive option!

Yes, me too! It just makes me stressed, and then I eat more!!!

> >I am also very interested in how this group calculates bolus doses for
> >protein.  I tend to factor about half the amount of insulin that I use for
> >carbohydrates per weight for beef/chicken/bacon but would be interested to
> >hear how people deal with eggs/fish??
> I guestimate.  I keep thinking I must experiment ... I'm having a week
> off work in August to concentrate on a major re-write, and think that
> would be an ideal time to conduct some experiments.

Yes, I guesstimate too. I don't count protein unless I eat a LOT of it, and
then I usually take between 0.5 and 2 units for it, depending on the time of
day, what I'm doing, and what I have with it. trial and error, but it works
for me (I have no concept of the exact figures for protein in foods, and
can't be bothered to learn them - I just know if something has a lot or a
little protein in!)