Re: [IPk] Food

In message <email @ redacted>, Louis Anson
<email @ redacted> writes
>I find that when I go hypo, especially when I pick up on it relatively late,
>that I will eat my whole fridge in one sitting if I don't control myself!
>Seriously..... the strong feeling of hunger during a hypo, and consequent
>eating far too much and going hyper (and then not wanting too bolus as
>insulin sensitivity can be very high) is a serious issue for those of us who
>find it difficult to control their eating.  This adds to my 'peaks and
>troughs' BG syndrome which I am trying to smooth.

And, of course, the unreliable absorbtion of insulin after a hypo means
that it's much harder to get a correct bolus for what you do eat. Have
you tried moving all your targets up , so that you don't hypo, until
achieving a smooth line, and then dropping your targets again?
>On the subject of food - I read recently that eating a piece of fruit before
>a meal can help stop over-eating on fats and carbohydrates.
So you are just hungry for protein and alcohol?
> I am trying to
>cut down on Carbohydrates (as I eat a great deal each day, or that is how it
>feels - UI thinka legacy of being on far too much insulin on MDI).  Has
>anyone found this to be a useful technique??

The only think I've ever found to work is eating only when I'm hungry,
and stopping eating when I'm no longer hungry - easy on the pump - I
have been loosing weight steadily over the last year.  Some people find,
however that pumping means they put weight on - either because their
dietary habits change, or because they are (ironically) much healthier
(i.e. the food goes on their hips, not down the toilet).

I still don't see why you are trying to cut down on carbs rather than
food - carbs, tending being faster, tend to satisfy faster (hence the

Of course, the obvious candidate to cut out is alcohol - but I've never
found that a particularly attractive option!

>I am also very interested in how this group calculates bolus doses for
>protein.  I tend to factor about half the amount of insulin that I use for
>carbohydrates per weight for beef/chicken/bacon but would be interested to
>hear how people deal with eggs/fish??
I guestimate.  I keep thinking I must experiment ... I'm having a week
off work in August to concentrate on a major re-write, and think that
would be an ideal time to conduct some experiments.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, particularly recommends venison to those who want to eat
low-calorie food
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)