[IPk] Insulin going off

It was Actrapid that went off John.  I also had Monotard with
me but that seemed OK, although It was a little difficult to
tell by the end as I was having to increase the dose every
few hours.  My insulin requirements usually go down in hot
weather so I don't believe it was that and 5X the dose seems
excessive.  Since then I have always used a cool bag (old
fashioned or Frio) although you might be right about more
modern insulin.  Once you have been caught out you don't tend
to be so trusting again.  I have subsequently driven across
the Sahara (with work) in battered old Land Rovers a couple
of times (not bad for a red-head with a tendency to heat
rash!) but initially always had a cool bag and ice blocks
(you would be surprised the places you could track down a
freezer when desperate) but the advance of Frio bags was a
god-send.

Anyway as several people report no problems in hot weather
and only two us have had problems (I guess that might be
because others have been able to refrigerate theirs while
away) it may be that I don't need to keep it cool.  But I
don't think I'll risk again this time.  Two small children on
holiday is knackering enough without anything else to
distract me!

Bev

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist