Re: [IPk] Pump Cool Packs

> What is the evidence that pumps and the insulin inside them must be
> kept cool? Insulin is already stuffed full of preservatives to stop it
> going off - even at room temperature for long periods of time.
> Provided you keep your pump next to your skin, and covered by a piece
> of clothing in bright sunlight, I can't see how the insulin could
> suddenly go off. I mean, you are refilling the pump cartridge every
> week or so.

I had several questions about the recommendations that Lilly had
for insulin storage and use, so I called and was able to talk with a
very forthcoming representative.  As to the question about sunlight,
other than its effect in raising the temperature of the insulin, the
deleterious effect that it has is on the cresol perservative.  Sunlight
tends to turn the cresol brown, and as the rep. pointed out, nobody
wants to inject a brown insulin.  That is why we are warned about
keeping insulin out of the sunlight, again, other than the warming.

George Lovelace < email @ redacted >
"Thanks, Disetronic, for giving me a new life"