Re: [IPk] Pump Cool Packs

>On both occasions,
>when I tried to measure my blood glucose, my pocket scan meter, which
>had been in its little bag, inside my handbag, in the footwell of the
>passenger seat (i.e. about as far out of direct sunlight as it could
>get) said it was too hot to measure.  Waving it about in the air didn't
>cool it down enough - I had to leave it on the cool tiled floor for a
>minute or so.

Worth remembering that the temperature gauge is in the meter, but the
chemical reaction which is temperature sensitive is in the strips. So by
cooling the meter you are only fooling the system into thinking everything
is fine. What you should really be doing is cooling the strips. (I always
know that winter has arrived when I get my first "low temp" warning on my
meter)

>The best diabetes doctor I ever had, Dr Brown of Lancaster Infirmary,
>was himself a diabetic, who had worked in Nigeria.  He said he left the
>bottles out in Africa (?Kenya ?Nigeria) for the regulation month, so he
>didn't see why people were keeping them in the fridge in the UK.

So what is the answer to all this? Your former doctor hinted that he had
left his insulin at African temperatures (whatever they may be) for well
over a month with no adverse effects.

I have never in 24 years refrigerated my current bottle(s) of insulin. They
live at all times with me in my little diabetes bag. That includes weeks in
California, holidays in southern Europe etc, and I've never been aware of
the insulin going off (although I have known my insulin requirements to go
up on holiday, but return to normal when I return home - same bottle of
insulin). I usually refrigerate my stock of insulin - but not always. I've
got various bottles of Humalog sitting around in my office now - and the
temperature is not exactly cold.

But Beverley claims she had several cartridges of insulin "go off" while on
holiday in Greece... I'm curious about that. What sort of insulin was it
Beverley? Pre-mixed insulin - long and shorting acting mixed together? A
former Novo employee once told me that long acting insulins are the ones
which are spoiled if they get frozen. Although there is a golden rule -
never freeze your insulin - soluble insulin (Actrapid etc) is apparently
harmed very little by freezing. I've no idea whether this applies to the
modern GM insulins (Humalog, NovoRapid and Lantus). Is long acting insulin
perhaps easily spoiled by heat as well? I've no idea...

Anyone else think it is outrageous that the insulin producers recently
introduced a throw-away-the-bottle-after-28-days rule? On a pump, it's
fine: 1000 unit bottle lasts me about 28 days. But if you have 20 units of
Insulatard before bed, you'll barely have used half of it after 28 days.
What a super way to double your sales, and cut your product liability
insurance in one go!

Be careful now, girls and boys. Don't get sun burnt... ;-)

John

--
mailto:email @ redacted
http://www.webshowcase.net/johnneale