Re: [IPk] Pump Cool Packs

In message <l03130309b786e95ba5cf@[213.7.4.80]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>What is the evidence that pumps and the insulin inside them must be kept
>cool?

A couple of weeks ago, when it was very, very hot, I drove from Surrey
to York, stopping twice on the six hour journey.  On both occasions,
when I tried to measure my blood glucose, my pocket scan meter, which
had been in its little bag, inside my handbag, in the footwell of the
passenger seat (i.e. about as far out of direct sunlight as it could
get) said it was too hot to measure.  Waving it about in the air didn't
cool it down enough - I had to leave it on the cool tiled floor for a
minute or so.  My pump was in the thigh thing (i.e. between my thighs),
and therefore in direct sunlight, albeit under a cotton dress and in a
Lycra bag.

Maybe it was cooled by the evaporation of the sweat off the frock, but
the insulin was not affected by the heat.

The best diabetes doctor I ever had, Dr Brown of Lancaster Infirmary,
was himself a diabetic, who had worked in Nigeria.  He said he left the
bottles out in Africa (?Kenya ?Nigeria) for the regulation month, so he
didn't see why people were keeping them in the fridge in the UK.  (I
think he hinted that he left them out for over a month, but wouldn't
swear to it now - goodness, that was 20 years ago!

I do have a 'cool' pack, but I used it for leaving emergency insulin in
the car for long stretches (sometimes it kicked around for a few months
before I ran out and didn't have a spare cartridge). Now I am good and
cycle through the back-up pack on every Humalog bottle, I don't use it.

Best wishes to all,

Pat

(dm 30+, 508 3months+, museum development officer, Surrey, research
student, University of York - and yes, the two are connected - M3, M25,
M1, M18, A1(M) ....)
--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)