Re: [IPk] Pump Cool Packs

>They keep the pump and insulin cool, and also provide extra padding and
>protection on the beach etc. Call us on 01223 420415 to find out more.

What is the evidence that pumps and the insulin inside them must be kept
cool? Insulin is already stuffed full of preservatives to stop it going off
- even at room temperature for long periods of time. Provided you keep your
pump next to your skin, and covered by a piece of clothing in bright
sunlight, I can't see how the insulin could suddenly go off. I mean, you
are refilling the pump cartridge every week or so.

One concern is that warming and cooling your pump will cause an expansion
and contraction of the insulin, causing you to receive more or less insulin
than you were expecting, which might potentially be dangerous.

And I've always assumed that these cool bags were sold for the benefit of
the manufacturer, rather than the consumer. If I'm wrong, please tell me :-)

(who gets sun burnt just looking out of the window!)

mailto:email @ redacted