[IPk] Holidays - hot weather and the pump + High BGM's with alcohol

I don't know if this will be of use to anyone but I have a
pump on a months trial and was concerned about going on
holiday with my kids next week and getting sand in the pump.
I was also worried about the hot weather and being unable to
stick my pump in a coolbag (as I did with my pen).  Guys
Hospital spoke to Minimed (AMT) on my behalf and they
recommended a new pouch for the pump that Frio are bringing
out.  Frio make the pouches for insulin that you activate by
soaking the lining in cold water (crystals turn to gel).
They then keep insulin cool for up to 48 hours at temps of
100 deg F.  Anyway the new pouches for the pump work in the
same way and are approved by Minimed.  They are not on the
Frio website yet but if anyone is interested, drop me an
e-mail and I'll give you the contact at Frio.  They are
prepared to make them up and post them out in a couple of
days.  I'll let you know how I get on when I get back from

I also note that people are discussing the occasional BGM in
the morning.  I have had that problem but put it down to
wine!  I checked the CHO value of  white wine (Dry
0.6g/100ml, medium 3.4g/100ml & sweet 5.9 g/100ml).  Two
large glasses would therefore be 2.1g, 11.9g and 20g resp
depending on the type.  I found my BGM went from 4.8 to 15.2
on the basis of two large glasses!  I had a correction of 2.4
but it was still 11.2 in the morning.  I could abstain but I
was hoping someone might suggest something different!

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader
BG Group