On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> Post exercise BG's:
> My exprience is identical to yours, with BGs shooting up after a hard workout.
> I have spoken to the local 'experts' here in Cape Town (South Africa) who gave
> the usual bluster and half-explanation that we all get from medicos who don't
> really know the answer. However, the interesting point for me is that the
> pattern of BGs under hard (anaerobic) exercise is significantly different to
> exercise under long, slow (aerobic) exercise. My BG shoots up after anaerobic
> exercise (the more exhausted I get, the higher the BG) but stays constant or
> drops slowly over time during aerobic exercise. I treat the shooting BG in the
> same way that you do.

Over the years I've come up with all kinds of theories about this. Of course,
you have to consider also that it might not just be the type of exercise which
causes different hormonal reactions, but also the fact that you probably try to
control your BG in different ways according to the type of exercise. I mean, if
you're going to go for an all-day hike, you can't just eat a mars bar at the
beginning, as you might for a 30 minute intense workout. I found strenuous
walking a bit of a mystery, in that as soon as I finished I would inevitably
have skyrocketing BGs, followed by lows several hours later. The solution for
me was to pre-empt the rise by *doubling* my basal for the last hour or so of
the walking (I would have my basal on about half its normal rate for the first
part of the walk). Sounds weird but it seems to work well for me.

 The other factor that seems to make a big difference is stress. When I'm
dancing competitively, I need a completely different strategy from when I'm
practising, even if I'm doing exactly the same thing. It's the same with
playign goalball competitively and practising. Same conditions but different
result. For competitions, I don't actually need to decrease my insulin at all,
because the stress counteracts the effect of the exercise in lowering my Bgs.
But I do have to watch for the post-competition hypo - I am (in)famous for
hypo-ing after a dance competition (which usually goes on for about 10-12
hours) and collapsing in a heap!