RE: [IPk] Bernstein

I have not yet had the chance to read Bernsteins low CHO diet book. If
anyone has any idea where to get a copy please email me directly for a
review. TA!
In terms of low CHO diets - there are quite a few to look at : Atkins,
Heller's CHO addicts book.

Carbohydrate is stored with water in our muscles and liver. When our BGL
drop we often access this stored CHO (glycogen) to keep our BGL propped up.

As we deplete our stores, water comes with it - meaning we are often losing
a lot of body weight initially (water weighs more than fat). Once most of
these glycogen stores have been depleted we start searching for alternative
energy stores (ie: muscle and fat). It is often difficult to judge whether
the ketones produced are the by-product of insufficient insulin (noting that
ketones usually appear in our urine several hours after they appear in our
blood) or simply a breakdown of our fat and protein stores. Either will
result in weight loss although I feel that the former - a result of high BGL
and insufficient insulin - is perhaps a more harmful way of doing it all -
particularly over a long period of time. I haven't had many patients try the
diets successfully. There was a poster at the ADA next to mine which was on
low carb diets - but it's subjects did not have diabetes.

The other thing to consider is: the existence of any complications that may
be amplified by a high protein/high fat (ie: low carb) diet. Secondly, if
you try to have a low carb diet you may miss out on important vitamins &
minerals / fibre etc.. that is difficult to adjust for apart from adding in
supplements & fibre-gels/drinks (these are generally not CHO-free).  Often
ketogenic diets have side effects (particularly if low energy also), eg:
hairloss, bad breath etc..

If you want more info or if anyone has been successful long term on this,
please email me directly. Thanks, Jules :-)

Julette Kentish
Diabetes Research Dietitian
Bournemouth Diabetes & Endocrine Centre
Royal Bournemouth Hospital