RE: [IPk] Exercise/high bgs etc

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, you wrote:
> Elizabeth and Di,
> Thanks for the info. What you say about having too
> much insulin in the system makes sense - next time
> I'll try testing half an hour before the class and
> then disconnect my pump. What I have been doing on
> reconnection is lowering my basal rate to 0.3 for 1-2
> hours post exercise and that seems to work for me.
> It's a steep learning curve, isn't it!
> Jenny

Hi Jenny
You might find you need some fast-acting carb immediately before the class too.
Something like Lucozade or glucose tabs. I would have it close at hand just in
 Interesting about the lower rate afterwards - I don't need that at
all, but it obviously works for you.
Let us know how you get on.
I think exercise is one of the hardest things to deal with, even with a pump.
In fact, the medical professionals now admit that people who exercise seriously
are  less likely to have good control than those who don't. Too many variables
involved. However, I think on a pump you have much more chance of exercise
worsening your control, and I also think the benefits of exercise outweigh the
problems - for me at least. I start cracking up mentally if I don't exercise,
even if my Bgs are better, which in the long term makes my control worse anyway.