[IPk] Re: Being ill for the first time

Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 07:19:19 +0100
From: Pat Reynolds <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IPk] Being ill for the first time (was Re: Pen bolussing)

Dear Anne,

Be very careful when you are sick for the first time.  If you are like
me, and another pumper who started at Guy's at the same time (couple
months back) you will be used to judging how sick you are by how you
feel.  So, despite having harder to control bgs, you won't feel as
'sick' as you actually are.  Because we didn't feel sick, we didn't go
to the doctor ... result: other patient hospitalized, me with a severe
breathing problem.  My pump nurses' advice: the sensible sort of
who normally doesn't trouble a doctor with this sort of thing should,
until they learn what a non-diabetic feels like with flu or whatever,
get a second opinion about how to treat it from a doctor.

Hope you feel lots better!

dm 30+, nearly 3 months with a 508, now knows what a peak flow meter
and how to use an inhaler!

Thanks Pat, i am feeling better and other than a couple of days at the
beginning of the virus my bgs havent been too bad now:-)
Yes I see what you mean, with my levels being more even during illness
I certainly feel better than I would have before the pump..