[IPk] Pumper ID

I wear a Medic Alert bracelet with the following wording at ALL TIMES (I never
take it off): "Diabetes.  External insulin pump.  Allergic to sulfa, ceclor."
If I go unconscious and no one finds the pump, I've done my duty and tried to
let people know.  I strongly recommend an ID bracelet or necklace, along with
a card somewhere in your billfold/wallet/purse that says specifically
"external insulin pump," not just "diabetes"!  Hopefully, with the knowledge
that you had a pump they'd think to look at your abdomen and follow the
tubing.  You might end up with some turned-on emergency medical personnel, but
hopefully they'd figure out where your pump was.

If you can't find anything pre-engraved, any good jeweler should be willing to
engrave a blank ID bracelet or necklace.  Medic Alert is a US-based
organization, but the jewelry bears a phone number that can be dialed collect
world-wide (see www.medicalert.com).

IDDM 7 years; MiniMed pumper 5 years; paranoid about passing out from a hypo
at a bar and being thought drunk about 3 years; number of times actually
passed out from diabetes OR alcohol: 0; chances I'm taking: also 0!

--below excerpted from Di's e-mail--
They hadn't known he had diabetes, but it turned out he was wearig a pump, and
he had it in the back pocket of his cycling shirt. Nobody noticed it was
there, and the guy was
semi-conscious. They thought it was because he had hit his head, so they were
treating him for concussion. Then they did a blood test eventually, and found
he was hypoing, which was why he had fallen off his bike. I often wonder how
long it would take a paramedic to find my pump when it's in a non-obvious
place, like in my bra.Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :