Re: [IPk] Discrimination

> This is a fiendish problem. The school's legal duties to act in loco
> parentis, and prevent you doing anything life threatening, clash head on
> with your confidence in your own abilities, and your desire to do what
> everyone else is doing. It's a bummer. It's possible that underpinning it
> all is the school's insurance - if you fall off and kill yourself, the
> school is protected by insurance. Great. Until the insurers discover you
> had diabetes, and their lawyers will claim you must have been having a hypo
> (apparently you can't test the bg of a dead body) so the insurance is
> invalidated. School goes bankrupt under the legal claim from your parents...

Yup, it's a difficult one. I would always advise telling them you have
diabetes, although when I went paragliding I kept quiet. As we got to the top
of the hill on the first day they made us fill in the insurance forms.  I
realised then that if i said i had diabetes they would at least start asking
questions, and probably wouldn't let me do anything until I at least had a
doctor's certificate....the form said something like you must be in good
health. Since I was already there I just kept quiet, and luckily nothing went
wrong, but I was paranoid for the whole week that somethign was going to go
wrong and my insurance would be invalid!

And at a slight tangent,  I've just got back from Casualty this
morning after injuring myself playing goalball on Saturday (turns out I have a
partially dislocated left shoulder and some torn ligaments in it).  The
consultant asked me about my diabetes and I told him I had a pump. He then told
me about a patient he'd had who had come off his bike. They hadn't known he had
diabetes, but it turned out he was wearig a pump, and he had it in the back
pocket of his cycling shirt. Nobody noticed it was there, and the guy was
semi-conscious. They thought it was because he had hit his head, so they were
treating him for concussion. Then they did a blood test eventually, and found
he was hypoing, which was why he had fallen off his bike. I often wonder how
long it would take a paramedic to find my pump when it's in a non-obvious
place, like in my bra.
Still, at least he knew what  a pump was. He admitted he didnt' know anythign
about them, but he  did ask sensible questions like "so do you fiddle with it
all the time according to how you're feeling, rather than taking a set amount of
insulin per day?" Bingo! Someone with a clue!