Re: [IPk] Discrimination

In message <email @ redacted>, Duncan Barnes <email @ redacted
yanston.co.uk> writes
>Being interested in sailing a lot I put my self down for a JST (jubilee saling
>trust)(www.jst.org.uk) voyage. Having now recived all the details I have found
>out that insulin
>dependent diabetics are not allowed to work aloft on the ship. I know that this
>is not directly
>relevent to insulin pumps but is this discrimination and are they actually
>allowed to prevent
>diabetics from going up even if I have tested my blood sugar.
This _is_ discrimination: the question is, is it permitted by the DDA?
It may be (after all, the DDA doesn't allow blind people to drive cars).
But ask them explicitly what defence they are going to use if  they are
challenged in the courts (if it's not you challenging, someone else

If they _do_ have a valid reason for preventing you from receiving the
'service' of experiencing work aloft, they are required, under the DDA,
to provide you with an alternative.  Ask them what the alternative will
be!  Under the DDA, they have to make a reasonable accommodation (i.e.
not one that will make the trust bankrupt, nor make the cost of
operating the trip impractical).

Best wishes

dm 30+ years, 508 for 3 months tomorrow, bolshy since day one,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)