[IPk] Being ill for the first time (was Re: Pen bolussing)

Dear Anne,

Be very careful when you are sick for the first time.  If you are like
me, and another pumper who started at Guy's at the same time (couple of
months back) you will be used to judging how sick you are by how you
feel.  So, despite having harder to control bgs, you won't feel as
'sick' as you actually are.  Because we didn't feel sick, we didn't go
to the doctor ... result: other patient hospitalized, me with a severe
breathing problem.  My pump nurses' advice: the sensible sort of person
who normally doesn't trouble a doctor with this sort of thing should,
until they learn what a non-diabetic feels like with flu or whatever,
get a second opinion about how to treat it from a doctor.

Hope you feel lots better!

dm 30+, nearly 3 months with a 508, now knows what a peak flow meter is,
and how to use an inhaler!

In message <004101c10600$191ecc60$email @ redacted>, Anne
<email @ redacted> writes
>I have been pumping for about 6 weeks now and like Liz have found that
>a correction bolus would work just how I wanted it to, but in the last
>few days i have a flu  and it seems to have sent my sugars up, I have
>raised my basals and bolused to bring it down but its a lot harder to
>control at the moment.. This list as well as good educators has made
>my introduction to the pump incredibly simple so pretty much this has
>been the first major problem I have experienced..  Should I expect to
>raise my  basal rates always when ill and  do you think I should try a
>injection rather than bolus whilst unwell??  How much do basal rates
>vary during illness??
>Thanks in advance:-)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)